Collapse column

Personal Menu

Hi, Guest

Donations

Help a Brother Out

Your donations help pay for the server, this forum and the game servers. Be a Forum Hero and stop freeloading!
Donate with PayPal!
October Goal: $45.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
Below Goal: $45.00
Site Currency: USD
 0%

Author Topic: Dearest master race, please explain  (Read 361 times)

Offline LordRahl2

• Glory to Dio
  • Archon of Dio
  • Awards Wicked smaht kids, guy. Pfieffers Pfgts Katawa Shoujo Activists
I am going to go ahead and call it for the Republican Candidate 2016.

Đ¢here is no place for slow learners and not started school persons.

Millennials sure are weird.

Online ArcKnox

• Alt-right provocateur
  • High Priest of Gaben
  • Awards Pfieffers Pfgts Katawa Shoujo Activists
Re: Dearest master race, please explain
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »
That hasn't been even close to true for like 10 years
Quote from: rainy sunday
ArcNox is indisputably Bro of the highest level.

Donald Trump is going to be our next president.

Offline TellUrGrlThx

• tug it
  • Awards A Wild Owl Appears! For Officers in the USAF Rider of Rohan Wicked smaht kids, guy. For members of the USAF
    • TUGTopia on P&W
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 03:16:39 PM »
Macs just get less malware and viruses developed because it's not as universally used as windows. They still get them and shouldn't be used as a selling point.
I'll fuck your bitch and put her in a wheelchair.

My emotional wifi is down. Can someone reset my router so I can give a fuck?

This summarizes your online persona to a fucking T.  You should put it in your sig.

[8:53 AM] Buorhann: I hate to admit it, but TUGT was right

Online Hekter

• Something Less Defeatist
  • Awards For members of the SHIELD MU Katawa Shoujo Activists
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 03:30:41 PM »
Macs just get less malware and viruses developed because it's not as universally used as windows. They still get them and shouldn't be used as a selling point.

TUGT has it spot on.

Also no one that is PC Master Race uses a fucking Mac.
>mfw I'm gone for literally a day and Hypno starts applying trickle-down economics to the fucking pyramids.

I wasn't suggesting taping your nipples.

I was suggesting that if you're wearing a shirt tight enough that they can be seen, you're already enough of a slut to show your ankles.

Offline Oblige

• Certified eRepublik Whale Ack
  • Noblesse Oblige
  • Awards Current US Congressman A Wild Owl Appears! Oblige's Personal Award Member of eRep EZCo
    • eRep Profile
Dearest master race, please explain
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 05:34:46 PM »
That's not true. Macs are coded on a Linux/Unix core which is inherently more stable and secure than windows. They also rarely, if ever, allow programs to escalate tasks or operate at the admin level which makes them more secure as well. Their sand boxing is also more through than Windows, among other security improvements.

Also, because, while there are still Mac viruses they are still very few and mostly adware / bloatware. That allows them to straight patch OS every time a virus is discovered.

That being said there has been a significant rise in Mac viruses over the past few years - given their increase in market share.

Online Hekter

• Something Less Defeatist
  • Awards For members of the SHIELD MU Katawa Shoujo Activists
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 05:46:20 PM »
Oblige is somewhat correct, but it's also not that simple. Desktop marketshare lack does have a significant impact in less malware being developed for the system. OS X makes up ~7% of the desktop OS market. [source]

The fact that even at 7% and seeing an increase in malware is not a fantastic sign :P I don't say this as a hater of OS X, I actually find it a better OS than Win10 as an actual user.

Offline Oblige

• Noblesse Oblige
  • Awards Current US Congressman A Wild Owl Appears! Oblige's Personal Award Member of eRep EZCo
    • eRep Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 07:09:11 PM »
Yeah but they were negligible before and now they're on the rise - especially among the wealthy.

Offline Kortanul

• No.
  • Awards Current US Congressman Pfieffers Pfgts Member of eRep EZCo
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »
Back in the day they were at like 1.8-2%, that they're up to 7% is kinda crazy to think about now.
A soldier, a pumpkin, and no longer retired.

Online ArcKnox

• Alt-right provocateur
  • High Priest of Gaben
  • Awards Pfieffers Pfgts Katawa Shoujo Activists
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »
Advertising and branding are a hell of a drug

Offline Kortanul

• No.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »
Indeed!

Offline Oblige

• Noblesse Oblige
    • eRep Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »
Advertising and branding are a hell of a drug
iPhone is a hellofadrug.

Offline Diakun

• Awards Wicked smaht kids, guy.
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 04:13:25 AM »
iv been interneting since 2006 on windows and i havent had any virus problems, its entirely about how you use the internet and not what OS you have
One track mind, one track heart. If I fail, I'll fall apart.

Offline Syrup

• Top Breeding Stock
  • Lovable Misfit // Goldilocks
  • Awards Rider of Rohan Talostastic's Award for Extreme Heroism Swagshibo Katawa Shoujo Activists Flight Training Officer Oblige's Personal Award Wicked smaht kids, guy.
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 06:16:24 AM »
iv been interneting since 2006 on windows and i havent had any virus problems, its entirely about how you use the internet and not what OS you have

Likewise.

I wouldn't say "entirely", but it's the larger factor for sure.
Figuring people out is what I do, and I gave up trying to understand syrup a long time ago.

Offline Kortanul

• No.
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 10:50:25 PM »

Likewise.

I just roll with a HOSTS file that I've been tending to and merging with public lists for years, don't even have AV software. I reformat every few months and run a full scan before I get to it out of curiosity and nothing.

Windows ain't vulnerable, it just leaves things in the hands of the user. Last I heard, the now built in AV software--Defender, previously MSE--has a 96% detection rating anyway, which is on par with all of its competition, but I leave that disabled because I'm used to doing my own thing.

Offline synesi

• Awards Wicked smaht kids, guy. Flight Training Officer
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 09:32:14 AM »

Likewise.

I just roll with a HOSTS file that I've been tending to and merging with public lists for years, don't even have AV software. I reformat every few months and run a full scan before I get to it out of curiosity and nothing.

Windows ain't vulnerable, it just leaves things in the hands of the user. Last I heard, the now built in AV software--Defender, previously MSE--has a 96% detection rating anyway, which is on par with all of its competition, but I leave that disabled because I'm used to doing my own thing.

This is being needlessly risky imo. And I've never seen Defender be considered on par with the top free antivirus programs.

Even if you do reformat every few months, it only takes one malware infection to steal all your banking data, passwords, etc. For the cost of *free* with essentially zero performance impact, there is really no reason to not be using some sort of antivirus on windows. Something with heuristic scanning at the very least. While I do agree that safe browsing habits can make you 99% safe from viruses/malware, the 1% that gets through is going to be alot more of a hassle than it is to install some free software.
<Minuvas> Every day I ask Major Synesi for supplies, and he tells me to go F myself

Offline Oblige

• Noblesse Oblige
    • eRep Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 11:48:47 AM »
Defender isn't bad. Depending on the test I've seen it perform on par with something like Avast or Mcafee. Their heuristic engine isn't bad. The point of the software though is just to be "good enough" - which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. 

Offline Kortanul

• No.
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 11:07:15 AM »
Defender/MSE's purpose, from the start, was to give a first-party option so you weren't obligated to grab a random third-party security app that may or may not slow down the computer, and Defender was designed with performance in mind (it also never flags Windows files as suspicious as Avast liked to do some time ago). It just happened to be in the top 5 for AV software when I last looked, around a year and a half ago, and I haven't kept up with the stuff since.

My choice to use no real security is partly due to my enjoying adding more and more addresses to my hosts file, and because for the years prior--with Kaspersky and for a time Comodo, while my buddy relied on AVG and father on mcafee... I dunno, I found that, while they both had occasional issues, my only complaints were with my apparently never getting infections the prompts for some things annoying me, so the minor inconvenience led me to say "fuck it, I don't need this" and so AV software got excluded from my images going forward, and defender never got re-enabled.

Would I recommend this choice to most? Hell no, the internet ain't friendly and safe. I just personally am okay with the gamble and have a year of back-ups, plus I went lazy and use LastPass to handle my login and info entries, so someone will have more to gain digging into their servers than anything from even acquiring full access to my computer by sitting in front of it.

I just, again, personally live with little to no security concerns at this time and "I guess it's time to reformat" is my standard fix for any oddities, rather than being considered a hassle.

Offline Oblige

• Noblesse Oblige
    • eRep Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
I mean you can also do stuff with your network edge or a network appliance if you're worried about it - or enable a lightweight network traffic monitor - Little Snitch for Mac is Master Race of Software.

Offline synesi

• Awards Wicked smaht kids, guy. Flight Training Officer
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 12:48:51 PM »
Kort, are you in a tech related field, or are you just into computers in general? Cause all that sounds like alot of work to maintain :P

Offline Kortanul

• No.
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 11:42:44 PM »
Kort, are you in a tech related field, or are you just into computers in general? Cause all that sounds like alot of work to maintain :P
I've lived my whole life around computers and networking stuff, dad was career Air Force tech working with mainframes and onward, and thus I always had all the goodies growing up and lots to learn with, was taught this and that, and basically got groomed for going straight into the IT field, buuuut just didn't feel like it and casually ignore constant job offers and such.

So for me it's just a hobby and something that comes naturally. Hell, when I go visit him, 90% of the time, that's what we bullshit about, is his tech work as a contractor now, with my constant playing around/reading shit.

Online Pfeiffer

• The Chairman
  • Awards Wicked smaht kids, guy. Pfieffers Pfgts Current US Congressman fingerguns' Special Award Swagshibo jerseygirl's group
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 07:11:26 AM »
Wanna come manage my cables?
Retired President.
Chairman of Mensa HQ

I <3 u man, you're my new bff and replace Lex in that category.  You can put that in your sig and see if he notices.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Inwegen

• Bestposters
  • Shadow President
  • Awards Wicked smaht kids, guy. Designer of Awards Pfieffers Pfgts
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »
Yea, I need to go back into my new rig and get some stuff back in line now that it's settled after use.
You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.
Shadow President - Former POTUS
Forever Chief of Staff
Former eUS everything
Former USWP Party President
[22:52] <&Inwegen> Stinger I swear to god if you just commented on a glee related photo.....
[22:52] <~Stinger> I love Glee
[05-31][20:44] <Vanek26> I giant dildo

Offline LordRahl2

• Glory to Dio
  • Archon of Dio
  • Awards Wicked smaht kids, guy. Pfieffers Pfgts Katawa Shoujo Activists
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »

Pfeiffer likes to have his cables managed.

Offline Kortanul

• No.
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 03:47:43 PM »

Pfeiffer likes to have his cables managed.
Are you saying you don't?  ???